My Sofia Grace

Sunday, January 5, 2014

No more diapers...no turning back now

Today is January 5th 2014 and we had the biggest snow storm last night. We are having another storm again tonight that schools all over have already cancelled and it's not even 8pm yet. So since we are snowed in for a couple of days I figured it would be a great time to potty train Sofia. She has made a couple of attempts in the past and has done a great job. But there were a few factors of why we were not successful, and that means why we are still pampering a 2 1\2 year old. The first attempt I brought out her potty because she had just turned 2 1\2 and she was waking up with dry diapers. So it was a big event which included video taping and taking pictures. She was more interested in taking the potty apart and using the insides as a hat instead of putting pee pee in it. The second attempt I didn't have the patience because she wanted to use her potty as a step stool instead of sitting on it and going pee. So I have been waiting for signs of her showing me she was ready. Today she went and got herself a pull-up because she had a wet diaper and she wanted it changed. She requested to sit on the toilet and she went to the bathroom. After she did all of those things I told her it was time that she didn't use diapers anymore because she was a big girl now. Instead of putting on the pull-up I put big girl panties on her. After that I made her a potty chart and she gets rewarded with a sticker every time she uses her potty.  Its almost bedtime and she has already had about 8 accidents which included one pair of poopy underwear. I kept all of Olivia's panties from when she started going potty so we have two bags of outgrown undies. I just threw the poopy ones in the garbage. But there is no turning back now. She will be three in 4 months and we don't want a three year old pooping and peeing in diapers. And since we are not leaving within the next two days we have plenty of room for mistakes without me freaking out trying to find a public restroom. When my little Sofia Grace is finally potty trained, as a reward to myself I plan on retiring my diaper bag that's falling apart and buying a purse that has nothing to do with diaper, bottles, or having a bag full of stuff that's not for me. Wow, how exciting, I haven't had a real purse since Olivia was a baby. It didn't make sense to me to carry around two bags all of the time which made it easier for me to lose one. And this will help Sofia become more prepared for preschool and I plan on putting her in her first dance class this fall. How exciting this will be, she will be joining her sister. This is a very proud and sad moment as her mother. She is not a little baby anymore. No more diapers, bottles, and all it takes to take care of a little baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment